Breaking News Bar
posted: 11/23/2017 1:00 AM

Images: #TBT Gallery looks back at Elk Grove Village

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

Early history of Elk Grove Village dates back to the mid-1800s when it was settled by pioneer New England farmers and German immigrants.

Named after the elk that roamed northern Illinois, the rural community matured after World War II when it became a center of commerce, paralleling the growth of Orchard Place, now known as O'Hare International Airport.

During the 1950s Centex Corporation selected Elk Grove Village as a site for a planned community due to its proximity to O'Hare, major highways and railroads.

The developer obtained 1,500 acres of land to build their residential and industrial community which led to its incorporation in 1956. The then small community of 116 residents grew to almost 35,000 people today. Beginning with only 90 companies in 1962, there are now over 3,600 businesses and service organizations residing within the village.

Thanks to the more than $36 million in revenue collected from commercial property and sales taxes, Elk Grove residents enjoy one of the lowest property tax bills in the Northwest suburbs, and was once listed as one of the "Fifty Fabulous Places to Raise Your Family."

Elk Grove Village's first fire engine was being put up for sale after 12 years of service in 1973. The 1952 model engine was purchased secondhand from the U.S. Air Force fire department at O'Hare Airport. Looking at the truck are, from left, Firefighters Tom Casteron, Larry Novak and Lt. Fred Henning.
Elk Grove Village's first fire engine was being put up for sale after 12 years of service in 1973. The 1952 model engine was purchased secondhand from the U.S. Air Force fire department at O'Hare Airport. Looking at the truck are, from left, Firefighters Tom Casteron, Larry Novak and Lt. Fred Henning.
Daily Herald file photo, April, 1973
After 20 years of service, Elk Grove Township supervisor William Rohlwing walks out of the door to the town office for the last time in 1973. After winning five consecutive terms, he decided to retire and did not run for re-election.
After 20 years of service, Elk Grove Township supervisor William Rohlwing walks out of the door to the town office for the last time in 1973. After winning five consecutive terms, he decided to retire and did not run for re-election.
Daily Herald file photo, April, 1973
Grove Centex Industrial Park in Elk Grove Village.
Grove Centex Industrial Park in Elk Grove Village.
Daily Herald file photo, December, 1975
The new home of the Elk Grove Historical Society museum moved through Elk Grove Village to its permanent Disney Park location in March of 1976.
The new home of the Elk Grove Historical Society museum moved through Elk Grove Village to its permanent Disney Park location in March of 1976.
Daily Herald file photo, June, 1976
Anthony and Teresa Maioriello, Elk Grove Village, donated their two-story white-frame house to the village historical society for use as a museum in September of 1975. The building that stood at 1199 Arlington Heights Rd. was more than 120 years old.
Anthony and Teresa Maioriello, Elk Grove Village, donated their two-story white-frame house to the village historical society for use as a museum in September of 1975. The building that stood at 1199 Arlington Heights Rd. was more than 120 years old.
Daily Herald file photo, September, 1975
Workmen moved this old farmhouse, donated by the Anthony Maioriello family, to Disney Park in February of 1976, where it became an historical museum.
Workmen moved this old farmhouse, donated by the Anthony Maioriello family, to Disney Park in February of 1976, where it became an historical museum.
Daily Herald file photo, May, 1976
The Farmhouse Museum of the Elk Grove Historical Society dates back to the 19th Century. The farmhouse and grounds have been restored to represent an Elk Grove home during the 1850s.
The Farmhouse Museum of the Elk Grove Historical Society dates back to the 19th Century. The farmhouse and grounds have been restored to represent an Elk Grove home during the 1850s.
Daily Herald file photo, October, 1988
Henry Tagge called Busse Woods home for 42 years before retiring as caretaker in 1964.
Henry Tagge called Busse Woods home for 42 years before retiring as caretaker in 1964.
Daily Herald file photo, May, 1964
Time has worn away inscriptions and tilted headstones on some of the graves since 1812 at Elk Grove Cemetery on S. Arlington Heights Road. Yet descendants of the area's first families continued to be buried there, as of August of 1978, undaunted by the area's traffic and noise.
Time has worn away inscriptions and tilted headstones on some of the graves since 1812 at Elk Grove Cemetery on S. Arlington Heights Road. Yet descendants of the area's first families continued to be buried there, as of August of 1978, undaunted by the area's traffic and noise.
Daily Herald file photo, August, 1978
Officers of the new Village of Elk Grove. Back row trustees: Frank Angelotti, Laurence Grindel, Roger Patzer, Morgan Burke, Leonard Scharring-Hausen. Front row: Wm. N. Glab, Charles Hodlmair, Village President, Margaret Petrie, Village Clerk, and James Carroll, Trustee.
Officers of the new Village of Elk Grove. Back row trustees: Frank Angelotti, Laurence Grindel, Roger Patzer, Morgan Burke, Leonard Scharring-Hausen. Front row: Wm. N. Glab, Charles Hodlmair, Village President, Margaret Petrie, Village Clerk, and James Carroll, Trustee.
Daily Herald file photo, 1959
Elk Grove Park & Shop, one of the area's first outdoor shopping malls, which still stands at the corner of Arlington Heights and Higgins Roads.
Elk Grove Park & Shop, one of the area's first outdoor shopping malls, which still stands at the corner of Arlington Heights and Higgins Roads.
Daily Herald file photo, October, 1960
A sign along Illinois Route 83 near Devon Avenue gives the population of Elk Grove Village at 13,200 back in 1964.
A sign along Illinois Route 83 near Devon Avenue gives the population of Elk Grove Village at 13,200 back in 1964.
Daily Herald file photo, November, 1964
Here is the Elk Grove Village board in 1963, as it looked after three new trustees were sworn in. In the rear, left to right, are Trustees Charles Zettek, Ralph Lewis, George Mullen, Frank Dillon, Eugene Keith, and Ralph Malonek. Seated are, left to right, The Village Clerk, Village President James Gibson and Village Attorney Hofert.
Here is the Elk Grove Village board in 1963, as it looked after three new trustees were sworn in. In the rear, left to right, are Trustees Charles Zettek, Ralph Lewis, George Mullen, Frank Dillon, Eugene Keith, and Ralph Malonek. Seated are, left to right, The Village Clerk, Village President James Gibson and Village Attorney Hofert.
Daily Herald file photo, May, 1963
This photo was taken about 1963. The intersection of Arlington Heights Road and Route 72 is in the upper left corner. The original models can be seen in the circular drive. The first major east-west road is Oakton and the next is Landmeier.
This photo was taken about 1963. The intersection of Arlington Heights Road and Route 72 is in the upper left corner. The original models can be seen in the circular drive. The first major east-west road is Oakton and the next is Landmeier.
Daily Herald file photo, 1963
Aerial view of industry moving into Elk Grove Village in 1964.
Aerial view of industry moving into Elk Grove Village in 1964.
Daily Herald file photo, January, 1964
Captain William Clifford and the Elk Grove Village Fire Department in 1967.
Captain William Clifford and the Elk Grove Village Fire Department in 1967.
Daily Herald file photo, May, 1967
Two new identical fire trucks were delivered to the Elk Grove Village Fire Department in 1972. Each of the two trucks cost about $60,000.
Two new identical fire trucks were delivered to the Elk Grove Village Fire Department in 1972. Each of the two trucks cost about $60,000.
Daily Herald file photo, July, 1972
Elk Grove Village's proposed new village hall as seen from Tonne Road in 1959 would house fire fighting equipment as well as village offices. Renovation of the former vegetable warehouse will improve appearance of the building considerably said Village Trustee Leonard Scharringhausen.
Elk Grove Village's proposed new village hall as seen from Tonne Road in 1959 would house fire fighting equipment as well as village offices. Renovation of the former vegetable warehouse will improve appearance of the building considerably said Village Trustee Leonard Scharringhausen.
Daily Herald file photo, January, 1959
The Elk Grove Village municipal building prior to its dedication in 1962.
The Elk Grove Village municipal building prior to its dedication in 1962.
Daily Herald file photo, September, 1962
Bill Robinson and Joe Wieser, fire fighters and paramedics, polishing the first new fire truck for the Elk Grove Township Rural Fire Department in 1979.
Bill Robinson and Joe Wieser, fire fighters and paramedics, polishing the first new fire truck for the Elk Grove Township Rural Fire Department in 1979.
Daily Herald file photo, August, 1979
The Elk Grove Township Hall in 1962.
The Elk Grove Township Hall in 1962.
Daily Herald file photo, September, 1962
Solemn, like a church, the Elk Grove Village teen center awaits an essential factor, teens. They will come the next day, the center's first day to open in 1970.
Solemn, like a church, the Elk Grove Village teen center awaits an essential factor, teens. They will come the next day, the center's first day to open in 1970.
Daily Herald file photo, January, 1970
The masts of the ship at Pirates Cove and a bird heading for its nest stand out at sundown in the children's park, where kids can enjoy rides and attractions.
The masts of the ship at Pirates Cove and a bird heading for its nest stand out at sundown in the children's park, where kids can enjoy rides and attractions.
Daily Herald file photo, June, 1984
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.